About Johnjerica Hodge
Johnjerica Hodge helps her clients in a number of heavily regulated industries navigate difficult issues as they arise, whether in litigation or otherwise, and take the necessary steps to reduce the wide range of risk they confront. Johnjerica is an emerging leader in the environmental, social and governance (ESG) space, where she provides counsel to companies across industries on evaluating and incorporating ESG values into their internal and external operations and helps them address the myriad of white collar and compliance needs related to the ESG sector. In addition to teaching multiple law school courses on human capital management and the role of racial equity audits in the ESG movement, she holds several ESG certifications from institutions such as The Wharton School and University of California, Berkeley, and is co-authoring a book on ESG.
Business strategies for resolving investigations
A core component of Johnjerica's practice is her deep experience in ESG. Leveraging her investigatory skills, she works with companies and institutions from a broad range of industries to identify areas of vulnerability and opportunity within the organization and its policies and procedures. She also assists companies facing ESG-related litigation risks and counsels organizations on the myriad of regulatory developments in the ESG sector and various ESG-related issues.
An adjunct professor at the University of Alabama School of Law, Johnjerica teaches "ESG: Racial Equity Audits." She taught a similar course at George Mason University Antonin Scalia Law School and is co-authoring a book on ESG.
Johnjerica also represents clients in internal and governmental investigations, corporate compliance and appellate litigation across industries. She focuses part of her practice on helping health care providers respond to investigations and related matters under the False Claims Act that involve allegations of fraudulent billing and violations of the Anti-Kickback Statute.
Johnjerica was a member of the independent compliance monitor team appointed in connection with a significant, deferred prosecution agreement by a pharmaceutical company under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. She devotes a portion of her practice to corporate compliance and business ethics issues, and also has substantial experience in motion practice in state and federal courts.
Prior to joining Katten, Johnjerica served as a law clerk for the Honorable Carl E. Stewart of the US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. She served as a member of the Alabama Law Review during law school.
- Appellate and Supreme Court litigation
- Racial equity, civil rights and human rights audits
- ESG and DEI compliance reviews and benchmarking
- Health care investigations and enforcement
- White collar and internal investigations
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
- Represent pharmaceutical company related to internal investigation into regulatory risks in the U.S. and abroad.
- Evaluation of potential impact of enacted and pending fair access legislation for a financial institution.
- Advise on municipal social bond issuance.
- Advise on M&A transaction involving a WBENC certification.
- Represent distributor and contractor in sustainability-related litigation.
- Counsel public beverage company on ESG-related issues.
- Represent international non-profit in ESG-related litigation.
- Represent international non-profits in preparing comments on the FTC’s Green Guides.
- Represent health care company and its affiliated entities in creating ESG program.
- Performed FCPA analysis for global manufacturer.
- Represent financial institution in breach of contract and breach of trust agreement litigation.
- Performed FCPA analysis for international shipping company.
- Represent health care provider subject to government investigation for alleged violations of False Claims Act.
- Represented company in state and federal environmental litigation.
- Counseled software company on compliance issues related to mergers and acquisitions.
- Counseled company on FCPA risks from subcontractor’s operations in Latin America.
- Represented multinational company relating to internal investigation in Vietnam.
- Counseled multinational company on FCA risks from potential business partnership.
- Member of independent compliance monitor team for multinational pharmaceutical company convicted of violating the FCPA.
- Represented health care provider in obtaining favorable settlement in FCA lawsuit arising from alleged violations of the Anti-Kickback Statute.
- Represented multinational oil and gas company in breach-of-contract arbitration against contractor.
- Represented oil and gas exploration and production company in SEC enforcement action.
- Co-authored opposition brief for appeal defending a multi-week jury trial.
- Represented health care providers in obtaining successful resolution of litigation concerning corporate raiding and tortious interference claims.
- Advised oil and gas company on federal and state regulatory risks stemming from countrywide expansion of operations. *
January 25, 2024
January 25, 2024
October 31, 2023
October 12, 2023
August 17, 2023
August 7, 2023
July 26, 2023
April 26, 2023
April 14, 2023
- View All News
November 29, 2023
- View All Publications
Presentations and Events
October 25–27, 202331st Annual Texas Minority Counsel Program (TMCP)Presenter | Recent Updates in the S of ESG
October 16–18, 20232023 National Society of Compliance Professionals (NSCP) ConferencePanelist | ESG, Its Role in the Firm, and the Role of Compliance (Intermediate)
October 5–6, 202319th Annual Mergers and Acquisitions Institute | University of Texas School of LawPanelist | WTF Does ESG Really Mean for M&A?
October 2–3, 2023Speaker | Hot Topics in the ESG Sector
May 18, 2023Speaker | Driving Inclusion through ESG Initiatives
January 19, 2023
October 26, 2022
October 13, 2022Presenter
May 12–16, 2022Speaker | The Economics of Healthcare: Understanding Physician Compensation
- View All Presentations and Events