About Richard H. Zelichov
A sudden drop in stock prices — and the disappointment of stockholders that follows — can pose a danger to a company and its directors and officers, especially in the technology and life sciences industries. But accusations of deliberately misleading stockholders are frequently asserted too quickly and without any basis. Richard Zelichov helps clients in exactly this situation, digging deep to tell their story to the courts, government regulators and investors so cases can be dismissed, and his clients can get back to business.
Digging deep to tell his client's story
Clients turn to Richard for a wide range of commercial litigation matters. He has particular experience representing public companies and their directors and officers in securities class-action and derivative litigation in both federal and state courts throughout the United States. He also helps with matters before the SEC and with internal investigations.
Richard digs in to learn the details of the client's business to understand the issues facing his clients so that he can present them to courts and regulators in a comprehensible way. This allows him to explain the actions of the company or individual in a more convincing way and to develop creative arguments unique to a client's specific case.
Representing clients throughout the technology and life sciences sectors, Richard has worked with Amdocs, Vulcan Ventures, Edwards Lifesciences, Spectranetics, Retalix, Enzymotec, Superconductor Technologies and officers from several other companies. He defends companies in a wide variety of other industries in lawsuits arising from accounting restatements, failure to meet public projections, product recalls, executive compensation, option grants and mergers and acquisitions.
Richard writes and speaks extensively on topics related to securities law. After law school, Richard served as a judicial clerk for the Honorable Alfred T. Goodwin of the US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
"Among the firm's 'extremely smart attorneys with strong intuition and a strategic mindset' are . . . LA-based Richard Zelichov ('exceptional, very bright')."
The Legal 500 United States 2019
(Securities litigation: defense) survey response
- Securities class actions and derivative litigation
- SEC investigations and enforcement actions
- Internal investigations
- Commercial litigation
- Lawsuits relating to alleged contract breaches, including earnout disputes, license agreements and nondisclosure agreements
- Trade secret litigation
- Defend genetic testing and diagnostics company in securities class action in state court regarding statements made in its registration statement and prospectus for IPO.
- Defended Camtek, Ltd. in securities class action alleging claims of improper revenue recognition.
- Defended director and investment company in securities class action and bondholder lawsuit arising out of failure and bankruptcy of a telecommunications company. *
- Defended Santa Barbara-based high technology company, and its officers and directors, in securities class action and derivative litigation arising out of company’s failure to meet public projections. *
- Defend former CFO of Blue Coat Systems, Inc. in SEC investigation and various securities cases regarding the company’s past practices relating to option grants.
- Represented diversified global semiconductor leader as amicus curiae in securities class action before the US Supreme Court. *
- Defended global medical supply company and its officers and directors in securities class action arising from its recall of a multipurpose contact lens solution.
- Defend developer of cardiac health equipment and supplies and its officers and directors in securities class action, derivative litigation and SEC investigation arising out of allegations that company promoted its products for "off-label" use.
- Defended director of contact lens manufacturer in securities class action and derivative litigation arising out of numerous issues company faced over a two-year period during and following merger with competitor. *
- Defended former senior executive of Krispy Kreme, Inc. in various civil securities matters and in US Securities and Exchange Commission and US Department of Justice investigations related to company’s restatement of financial results. *
- Defended electric company and its officers and directors in securities class action litigation arising from investigation by Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. *
- Prosecute arbitration on behalf of former stockholders of Israeli-based technology company in dispute concerning “earn-out” provision in merger agreement.
- Defend major financial institution in lawsuit alleging claims for fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and violation of RICO in the sale of interest rate swaps.
- Prosecute lawsuit on behalf of private California corporation against certain shareholders relating to interpretation and application of corporation’s articles of incorporation and bylaws.
- Defend Australian high technology company in various business disputes arising from expansion of its business into the United States.
- Defend television network against claims seeking half its profits in connection with successful animated series.
- Defended Edwards Lifesciences Corporation in securities class action concerning missed forecasts for new transcatheter heart valve product.
- Defended multiple class action and mass action lawsuits alleging software negligence in the design and installation of point-of-sale software at gas stations and associated convenience stores throughout the United States.
- Defended developer and manufacturer of nutritional ingredients and medical foods in securities class action concerning IPO, secondary offering, and other public statements concerning its two leading products.
- Defended lawsuit alleging trade secret misappropriation and breaches on NDAs on behalf of a leading provider of software billing, customer management and payment solutions to telecommunication and media companies.
November 10, 2021
August 19, 2021
June 16, 2020
April 16, 2020
March 11, 2020
June 11, 2019
February 16, 2018
March 9, 2017
June 17, 2016
- View All News
May 18, 2020
February 25, 2019
October 21, 2018
December 5, 2012
October 29, 2012
September 3, 2012
June 21, 2012
June 9, 2011
- View All Publications
Presentations and Events
January 27, 2022
May 18, 2021Panelist
February 13, 2020Speaker
July 18, 2019Supreme Court Roundup: The Most Impactful Decisions for Corporations from the 2017–18 and 2018–19 TermsParticipant
December 11, 2014Panelist
December 10, 2013Panelist
March 22, 2013Presenter
July 9, 2009Speaker | Trends in Securities Class Actions & Shareholder Derivatives Suits
October 1, 2008Practicing Law Institute's Securities Litigation